Senior PHP Software Engineer (EU Remote)
What you'll do and how you'll make an impact:
LearnWorlds is on a mission to educate. Our powerful all-in-one platform enables trainers, educators, and enterprises to create and offer unique learning experiences. The cloud-based e-learning platform offers tailor-made solutions, from creating whole e-learning websites to author online courses as well as providing the right tools to sell them on a B2B/B2C function. In this way, Learnworlds aims to offer a holistic online learning experience. A huge emphasis is being given to creating student satisfaction and deep, lasting connections between learners and instructors.
Today, LearnWorlds has c.7500 customers in more than 140 countries and our team is fully remote. However, we also offer the option of working from the office for those who want to mix things up. We have offices in Athens, Chania, and Limassol.
About the role
As LearnWorlds’ product scales and develops, so does our engineering team! Our product is an all-in-one platform which means that there are tons of different things to work on, and that’s without including the frequent development and introduction of new features that make our customers’ experience even better.
We are currently looking for a talented and experienced Senior PHP Software Engineer that has a passion for software development and technology. You will be responsible for improving the LearnWorlds functionality and implementing new features. Our team is tight and includes experienced engineers from all types of backgrounds and profiles that work together towards the same goal, always as one.
We welcome engineers from a variety of backgrounds and experience levels. What matters the most to us is the ability to deploy your curiosity, learning aptitude, and potential to grow. We’re also looking for people who are not afraid to make judgment calls and be smart decision-makers, rather than passive players waiting for the next assignment. We have a startup mentality and love getting things done quickly. We are always very busy, so if you love being productive, and proactive, and pushing code to production frequently, you will feel right at home.
Our platform stack uses multiple technologies such as PHP, Go, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, Beanstalk, and Redis. We are currently using Google Cloud Platform and use services such as Cloud Compute Engine, Kubernetes, BigQuery, Pub/Sub, BigTable, and Firebase.
- Be in charge of adding new functionality to our codebase, and figure out the best way to do it, using our best practices and processes.
- You will be part of one of our product teams, such as e-Commerce, Integrations, Analytics, Authoring tools, and Automations.
- Work autonomously inside self-managed teams with flat hierachies that have dedicated product owners, QA and designers, expanding our platform and adding new features.
- Participate in the whole life-cycle of the feature development. Take ownership of your own work and come up with creative and efficient solutions in very interesting problems.
- 5+ years of production experience as a PHP backend engineer
- Experience with Laravel/Symfony/SlimPHP
- High standards in terms of code quality, reusability, testability, and maintainability
- Solid problem solving, debugging & troubleshooting skills
- Solid experience with software testing
- Experience with building and maintaining RESTful APIs
- Knowledge and experience (modelling and architecture) of relational databases (PostgreSQL mainly)
- Experience with non-relational databases (one or more of MongoDB, Redis, ElasticSearch)
- You are a true team player, positive and optimistic by nature
- You see problems as fun riddles to be solved
- Native or near-native Greek speaker
- Experience implementing migration strategies from a monolith to services
- Desire to work with Go
- Past experience with LMS system
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Open-source contributions
- Private life and health insurance plan
- 23 days of paid vacation leave per annum from year one
- Fully remote work if you prefer to work from home
- Culture committed to work-life balance and flexible hours for each and every employee.
- Company laptop & monitor
- 3 early summer Fridays
- Personal training budget per year
- Team educational materials and expenses, subject to management approval
- Eligibility for any additional employee benefits that the company may provide in the future
- Work in one of the globally top 5 e-learning courses platform with customers in more than 100 countries
- An opportunity to grow alongside us and shape the look and feel of tomorrow’s e-learning
- An entrepreneurial, international, and highly motivated team with a flat hierarchy that will both challenge you and help you reach your highest potential
- Annual company retreats (see the video of our latest retreat).